Vice-President Jagdeep Dhankhar Highlights Democracy, Justice, and Education at BITS Pilani Address
Corruption as a hindrance to democracy and growth
Vice-President Jagdeep Dhankhar delivered an address at the Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) Pilani, emphasizing the significance of justice, democracy, education, and innovation in shaping India’s future. He commended the recent passage of the ‘Naari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam,’ recognizing women’s rights and dignity.
Key Points from Dhankhar’s Address:
- Corruption and Democracy: Dhankhar called corruption a “killer of democracy and growth” and highlighted recent efforts to neutralize the power wielded by “power brokers.”
- Justice for All: He stressed the importance of justice for all, with a particular emphasis on women’s rights and entitlements.
- Education: Education was described as the most “effective and impactful” means of improving lives and advancing India’s growth.
- Citizen Participation: Dhankhar urged students to hold their representatives accountable and reminded citizens of their right to petition Parliament.
- Global Role: He discussed India’s global role, including its successful G-20 presidency and the inclusion of the African Union in the G-20.
- IMEC: The India-Middle East-Europe Economic Corridor (IMEC) was acknowledged as a transformative global initiative.
- India’s Economic Journey: Dhankhar highlighted India’s remarkable journey from a member of the ‘Fragile Five’ to the ‘Big Five’ among global economies.
- Research and Innovation: He underscored the importance of research and development, encouraging innovation and the generation of transformative ideas.
- Internship Opportunity: Dhankhar announced that five interns from BITS Pilani would assist the Chairman, Rajya Sabha, in the forthcoming Winter Session of Parliament.
The event was attended by Union Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal, Professor V Ramgopal Rao (Vice-Chancellor of BITS Pilani), Professor Sudhirkumar Barai (Director), faculty members, students, and dignitaries.
Subscribe to BNN Breaking
Sign up for our daily newsletter covering global breaking news around the world.