Two children electrocuted in Lagos
A Lagos community is left in shock after two young siblings, a 10-year-old girl and her seven-year-old brother, were electrocuted at home in the Mushin area of Lagos State.
The accident occurred when the children, just returned from school, tried to turn on the television. The parents, who were not present at the scene, were plunged into despair upon discovering the fate of their children. The mother fainted and remains in a critical condition in hospital.
A Community in Mourning
The community, shocked by the incident, is rallying around the family during this devastating time. A local resident, Toyosi, provided more details about the incident. She narrated that the girl was trying to plug in the TV when she was electrocuted.
Unaware of what had happened to his sister, the younger boy also touched her and was electrocuted as well. The children were not discovered until the power was switched off. Toyosi added that the mother is still in a state of shock and is not yet able to speak or cry.
Furthermore, it was disclosed that the mother of the deceased children has a third, younger child who she was breastfeeding when the tragedy struck. This incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers posed by electricity, especially to children, and the need for proper safety measures to be in place in all homes.
Past Incidents in Lagos State
This is not the first incident of this nature in Lagos State. In May, a 24-year-old nursing mother, Yewande Busari, was electrocuted along with her one-year-old son who was strapped to her back.
The tragedy was caused by electrical wires sticking out of a streetlight pole where she was trying to cross the highway at Oshodi. However, the child survived the incident and is currently with his paternal grandparents.
These incidents underscore the role of government and electricity companies in ensuring the safety of residents. Despite these tragic incidents, there are complaints about the nonchalance of the government and the electrical companies in charge of streetlights.
Safety measures need to be put in place and enforced to prevent future incidents. Negligence in maintaining electrical installations not only endangers lives but also causes grief for affected families.
Subscribe to BNN Breaking
Sign up for our daily newsletter covering global breaking news around the world.