A heartbreaking incident has shaken Johannesburg, South Africa, as a three-year-old girl tragically lost her life when the inverter powering her essential breathing machine ran out of charge during load shedding. The devastating event unfolded while the young child bravely battled Woree Syndrome, an uncommon neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by drug-resistant epilepsy and global developmental delay. Heart-wrenchingly, reports indicate that the girl passed away in her mother’s arms while en route to the hospital. The family had hurriedly sought medical help after the inverter’s charge depleted during load shedding, exacerbated by subsequent planned outages for maintenance. Funeral arrangements have been made, and the child will be laid to rest next week.
Inverter Failure Leaves a Child with Woree Syndrome Vulnerable
The tragic incident sheds light on the critical importance of maintaining an uninterrupted power supply for individuals with medical conditions that rely on life-sustaining equipment. Load shedding, a method employed to manage electricity demand, can have severe consequences, particularly for those who depend on powered devices to survive. The depletion of the inverter’s charge rendered the child’s essential breathing machine inoperable, depriving her of the necessary support for sustaining her breathing. The profound challenges posed by Woree Syndrome, including drug-resistant epilepsy and global developmental delay, further intensified the difficulties faced by the child and her family.
Load Shedding’s Devastating Impact
This devastating event serves as a somber reminder of the urgent need to address the impact of load shedding on vulnerable individuals and their families. It underscores the necessity for comprehensive measures to ensure reliable backup power sources and continuous access to medical equipment during power outages.