At least 16 children have fallen sick after allegedly eating a poisonous Jatropha fruit in a colony in the Chunar police station area, a senior official here said.
The children consumed the fruit “mistaking it for almond,” the official said, adding the condition of all the children is stable. The children were rushed to the Divisional Hospital and are being treated under the supervision of Mirzapur Medical College Principal R B Kamal.
“The children were first brought to the Community Health Centre. After giving first aid, the children were admitted to the Divisional Hospital,” Kamal said.
“Some children of Chunar’s Kansiram Awas Colony were playing in the nearby LIC campus after coming from school. While playing, the children ate the fruit of Jatropha mistaking it for almond.”
“After a few hours, they started having stomach pain. Some children also reported diarrhea. After complaints of vomiting and diarrhea, the sick children were brought to Chunar Health Center,” Kamal said.
Breaking News India